Advice on change of tape drive please.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Nov 24 23:40:17 AEST 1990

In article <OPERATOR.90Nov20104952 at expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk> operator at cs.exeter.ac.uk (Sue Charles) writes:
>In the new year we will be installing a QIC-150 drive.
>Which (if any) of the above tapes would I still be able to use
>read ,read/write.

You will be able to use the DC600A tapes.  Depending upon which device
you used to write them (/dev/rst8 writes in QIC-24 format, if I remember
correctly) you should be able to read them on the new drive.

If you erase the DC600A, you will also be able to use it for writing on
the QIC-150 drive.  The output will be written in QIC120 format (which
will give you 120MB per tape).

>Or is it a case of scrapping the lot! and using the new 150mbytes
>data tapes.

If you are going to buy some new tapes, but DC6250s which will store
250MB in QIC-150 format (longer tape)

                                                Sterling, VA 22170