Changing Passwords From A Batch File

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed Nov 14 19:09:43 AEST 1990

In article <18730 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>Ideally you would want to read the user name, old password and
>new password from a data file.  The reason is that ps would
>be able to see the passwords as they were changed.

I've written a utility which does exactly what I described above.
It does not work with SunOS (because of passwd.adjunct), but does
work with V7-format /etc/passwd, and SVR3.2 or SVR4-format
/etc/shadow files.  You pick which one you want at compile time,
and it gives that variety to you.  The code figures out the
difference between SVR3.2 and SVR4 /etc/shadow files (sort of,
it may have problems I don't know about just yet ...)

Depending on how many requests I get I'll either mail individual
copies or post the code to alt.sources.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson