FTP and tcsh don't mix

Shaun Codner vendiswc at aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com
Thu Nov 8 05:14:38 AEST 1990

In article <ramsey.657905203 at sundance> ramsey at sundance.llnl.gov (Susanne Ramsey) writes:
>I have a sun 4/330 which I just upgraded to SUNOS 4.1.  As we have been de-
>bugging we have found that a person who has tcsh as a default shell can not
>FTP to that account.  Any other shell seems to work just fine..  We have the
>latest version of tcsh ( i think 8-))
>
>Anyone seen this before..???
>
>Susanne Ramsey

Yes, this is probably because you do not have the path for tcsh ( usually
/usr/local/bin/tcsh) in the /etc/shells file.  FTP checks this file
for "legal" shells when somebody FTP's in.  Just append the path to
the end of /etc/shells and all should be fine.  If not, then it may be
something a wee bit more complicated. :-)

-Shaun