Verifying dump tape consistency without restoring

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Fri Nov 9 03:55:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov8.004559.3904 at thirdi.uucp>
scott at thirdi.uucp (Scott Southard) writes:
>Does anyone know of any utilities for verifying the consistency of a
>dump tape?

We just had a big discussion on this in this very newsgroup, under the
subject `why idle backups'.  Whether a tape can be `verified' depends
on your definition of `verify' and how much time and effort you are
willing to expend.  If you can take the file system offline (either by
unmounting or by running single-user) you could write a program to
compare a dump to the actual contents of a file system.

I know of no such utility (though it would be useful, e.g., before
moving a lab like we did here a few years ago).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris