Forcing good backup procedures

Hendrik Vermooten hendrik at zeusa.UUCP
Mon Nov 5 16:43:36 AEST 1990

A customer of mine has about 20 XENIX sites, with *low* level operators.
Making backups is a problem: I've written software that does not allow
them to boot up the machine in the morning unless it has a tape loaded.
(Gross, huh? :-)   A cron process then makes a backup at lunch time.
They are supposed to put in the appropriate tape each day before booting.

This works ok, *except* that they leave in the same (*#$#)(#%$!#@ tape,
so that there aren't any generations of backups, and this has led to
major problems.

What I'm looking for is some program/script/anything that will check if
the correctly labled tape (labled magnetically on the tape, that is) is
loaded into the drive before proceeding. It would be nice if this prog
could also send mail to someone (at anther site) if it "notices" that
backup procedures aren't being followed.

I'd appreciate any help!