Forcing good backup procedures

Hendrik Vermooten hendrik at zeusa.UUCP
Wed Nov 14 16:16:26 AEST 1990

Re: my original posting about "Forcing good backup procedures"

In article <1694 at chinacat.Unicom.COM>, chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> You've got a bigger problem than getting backups made - you need to fix
> an attitude problem.
That's for sure!

> Just this week, they ran out of disk space because nobody watches the df's.
I've written a cron/script that mails a warning. Anybody interested?

> Chip Rosenthal  <chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM>

Thanx, Chip. I also received some mail in the same vein. Thanks to all.

I didn't really describe the problem fully. These 20 systems are at separate
places *hundreds of miles* away from anything. Top management of the
company have made many attempts to improve the problem, and it has. It's
just that there are still problems sometimes, and it would be nice to
solve the problems before they actually lose data.

I will impress upon them that it is an attitude program again, but they
still want the labeling program.

(BTW, I have received two mails with shell scripts that help solve the
problem [thanx Sean Enraght-Moony and Alan Mintz]. If anybody is interested
let me know & I'll post 'em)

--------------------- He who laughs last laughs last ---------------------
Hendrik Vermooten, ZEUS software    TEL +27 12 64-5507, FAX +27 12 64-8382
Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!zeusa!hendrik     or        hendrik at zeusa.UUCP
----------------- He whose laugh lasts longest laughs last ---------------