Tracking ANONYMOUS FTP

Thomas J. Gilg tomg at hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
Wed Sep 12 02:43:25 AEST 1990

>   How are anonymous FTP logins tracked??   I know that some systems want you
> to send your ID as the password but Ive looked all over documentation and
> my system but cant seem to find any log of this information.

I've seen several versions of ftpd that utilize /usr/adm/wtmp and
/usr/adm/btmp in some form or fashion.  Its never really documented,
but I've discovered that if those files exist, ftpd will use them.

Your version of ftpd might log into the utmp files, and hopefully if
it does, it dumps enough information to be useful.

Hope this is useful info for you,

Thomas Gilg
tomg at cv.hp.com