Security in SunOS

Erik B. Larsen erl at jt.dk
Tue Feb 19 18:46:26 AEST 1991

I've noticed af security-hole in SunOS (maybe).
If you have a diskless workstation mounted on af server, and they are running
NIS, then of cource you only have one entry for root (on the server).

Now - everyone can boot a workstation up in single-user, and if you just know
a little bit of Unix, then it's easy to make an user called root or something
else in the clients /etc/passwd.

Then you can boot up in multiuser, and you've free access on the server to
delete everything!

Anyone, who know how I can solved this problem?
I'll like to hear from you.

Regards

Erik Bruijn Larsen
Systemadministrator