Changing passwords in Scripts

systems root at mentorg.com
Sat Feb 23 07:54:54 AEST 1991

In article <39 at cheops.UUCP> logier at cheops.UUCP (Rob Logie) writes:
>would be passed as parameters to the script.  The normal password program
>does not seem to be usable as it expects keyboard response.

I heard a talk on "expect" at the LISA conference in colorado springs.  It
will let you get around the problem of passwd wanting keyboard response.
Here is an excerpt from the README file...

expect may be ftp'd as pub/expect.shar.Z from durer.cme.nist.gov.
Request email delivery by mailing to "library at cme.nist.gov".  The
contents of the message should be (no subject line) "send
pub/expect.shar.Z".  Once you have retrieved the system, please read
the INSTALL file.  The papers mentioned above can be retrieved
separately as pub/expect.ps.Z and pub/expect-sysadm.ps.Z.

The expect program requires Tcl (which you may already have).  (The
expect library does not need Tcl.)  Tcl for BSD may be retrieved as
pub/tcl.tar.Z in the same way as described above for expect.  When new
releases of Tcl appear from Berkeley, I will try to check them out for
expect as soon as possible.  If you would like to get the newest Tcl
release without waiting, ftp pub/tcl.tar.Z from ucbvax.berkeley.edu.
You may request email copies of Tcl by writing to
ouster at sprite.berkeley.edu.  Tell him whether you want Tcl for BSD or
SV.