How could I set term at login

Stew Ellis elliss at eecae.uucp
Thu Feb 21 13:24:52 AEST 1991

In article <476 at bria>:

>In an article, ganymede.DMI.USherb.CA!bussiere (Luc Bussieres) writes:
>|
>|    I wan't to know if there is a way that at login Unix could know
>|which type of terminal is hooked to a line. Here we have multiple type
>|of terminal that may hook to any port. We are running sunos 4.1.1 on
>|sun3 and sun4.

>I kind of like the ``tset'' tool myself.
The problem with this is that he wants it to be transparent to the users.
I use tset myself because one of my terminals does not respond to an enquiry
from the host.  All DEC type terminals respond to an ansi code that asks
what terminal you have with a unique code for each type of DEC terminal.
The terminal manuals should tell you what the codes are, then you can write
a trivial shell script to send them and interpret the returned codes.

>Cheers,
>--
>Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
>Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike
>Remember folks: If you can't flame MS-DOS, then what _can_ you flame?

R. Stewart (Stew) Ellis
Department of Humanities and Social Science
GMI Engineering & Management Institute
Flint, MI

elliss at frith.egr.msu.edu