Do you run Unix without disk quotas?

timcc at csv.viccol.edu.au timcc at csv.viccol.edu.au
Sat Feb 16 04:00:46 AEST 1991

I am soliciting opinions from administrators of Unix systems with a large
number of users (undergraduate students to be specific), but no disk quota
mechanism.

We are currently evaluating a tender that includes Unix systems with and
without disk quotas.  I am interested in answers to the following
questions:

   1.	Have you implemented any other method of controlling disk usage?
	If so, what does it entail?

   1a.	How difficult was the implentation of this alternative?

   1b.	Is it effective?  Is it better or worse for the administrator
	and for the user?

   2.	If you have not implemented an alternative, how much more disk
	space do you think you use (if any)?

   3.	How much more time does the system administrator spend controlling
	disk space usage, either with an alternative method of control, or
	"by hand".

   4.	How would you rate the presence of a disk quota system in
	importance, compared to other system features (for example, dynamic
	disk bad-block re-mapping, an extended access-control mechanism,
	or adherence to contemporary Unix and Open Systems standards).

I would like replies by e-mail.  I will post a precis of what I get to this
newsgroup.  I will be happy to forward a full copy of any answers I receive
to anyone who asks.

--
Tim Cook        Systems Administrator, Victoria College Computer Services
Internet:       timcc at viccol.edu.au
UUCP:           ...!uunet!viccol.edu.au!timcc