Troubling phone calls

Brandon Brown brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 9 02:20:28 AEST 1991

wolfgang at wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:

>> Checking our dialup lines for security problems, I've noticed that *someone*
>> keeps calling us as uucp, something like 40 times a day.  We haven't been a
>> uucp site for 3 years, at least, probably longer, and the old password is
>> locked on our machine.

>Why not put the uucp's back for a day or two.  Just don't give them
>any permission for reading/writing or executing anything.  Then check
>the log files and see who it was.

Also, I wouldn't pound the people too hard when you find out. Chances are,
if they are not charged for local calls, and the administrator is a "passive"
one, they could have restored an old backup and accidentally overwritten
the /usr/lib/uucp files. I have done it before....Problem is we DO get charge
for local calls, so after $100 was wasted....I learned the hard way!

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    xmg23356, macbrando          |