Troubling phone calls

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Thu Feb 14 03:34:15 AEST 1991

In article <13649 at vpk3.UUCP>, craig at attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) writes:
|> Given the context of your posting, I will assume that you mean someone is
|> trying to log in as nuucp.  (uucp is a valid login for a shell prompt.  If
|> someone is REALLY trying to log in as uucp, then you are experiencing an
|> attempt by someone to 'crack' your system.  At 40 calls a day, most likely an
|> automated attempt.)

The important context got lost here.

The original posting showed a listing from the "last" command
indicating that someone was logging in as uucp, when he was saying that
the uucp account was disabled.

>From what I saw, it wasn't that someone was "trying" to log in, but
that someone *was* logging in.  This indicates (to me) that there is an
account with the same uid as uucp with a valid password, and that this
was still working.

I tried to reply to the original poster, but the mail bounced so I
ignored the problem.

--
...David Elliott
...dce at smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce