The internet de-mystified

Chris Preston cbp at icc.com
Sat Feb 2 00:56:45 AEST 1991

In article <EMV.91Jan30013256 at crane.aa.ox.com> emv at ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <758 at faatcrl.UUCP> warb at faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) writes:
[various stuff without details or options deleted]

Ok, I have looked into this.  Some actual details and options are needed
here, IMHO, since all that has been mentioned thusfar is generalities.
Note in advance that I have no affiliation with either of these
organizations, and I am not even a satisified customer yet because I'm
trying to find somebody to pay for this:

  Performance Systems International is running T-1 backbones through
  various cities throughout the United States.  I do not have the list
  yet, as I have not talked to them in about a month; however,
  you may contact them at smith at psi.com.  The cost in under $1000/year
  ($225/quarter) to run modems up to 19.2 to local modem lines that
  *they* will put in on the other end which will connect to their T-1
  lines.  They also offer full connectivity (if you are in one of
  their service areas) directly to the Internet, and charge a straight
  fee without a per packet charge (how it works going across net servers,
  I have no idea).  Again, it depends on whether they are supporting
  your city/area (though they told me they were expanding by 25 additional
  cities/areas this year).

  Uunet also has the same kinds of services, though you will typically
  have to foot the bill for phoning or having a leased line to them.
  This *is* more expensive, with a $2/hr connect fee, if you pay
  the phone, and combination charges on an 800 number depending on
  day/night rates.  They will also do a leased line and act as
  a gate and charge a flat rate and provide maintenance and installation.

  In both cases the cost for a full fledged connection to the Internet
  was well under $20,000, including installation of the imp gate and
  on site maintenance.  The primary restriction, again, is that to
  gate into/through NSFnet requires R&D, academia or defense contractor
  work.

  I have not yet delved into the extent of connectivity this would
  give one in reaching worthwhile sites as I am otherwise busy at
  the moment.

  For more information from Performance Systems International -
  PSI inc.
  Suite 1100
  Reston, VA  22091
  1 800 827-7482
  703-620-6651
  703-620-4586
  uupsi at psi.com
  info at psi.com
  smith at psi.com - Dave Smith - helpfull person there

  For more information from UUNET
  UUNET Technologies, Inc.
  3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 570
  Falls Church, VA 22042
  +1 703 876 5050 (voice)
  info at uunet.uu.net
  leonard at uunet.uu.net - Lori Leonard - helpfull person there

cbp
---
Of course these are opinions, you silly foooelll.

Kurt Waldheim to Saddam Hussein:
"Saddam, I knew Hitler, and believe me, you're no Adolf Hitler."

Recent Quote -
"Were fighting for basic American principles of right and wrong" - George
Bush - ok, elect the Immir in '92.