How do I connect to IRC

Kimmo Suominen Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
Sat Mar 16 02:04:40 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 15 Mar 91 05:51:31 GMT, a228maso at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca said:

Jamie> All this discussion about IRC  has sparked my curiosity.  How does one
Jamie> connect to IRC?  Does it have to have a locally installed program, or do
Jamie> you TELNET to a port somewhere?

You might bring up your own server on a local host and connect it to
other irc servers.  You should find out the best place to connect by
writing to operlist-request at cs.bu.edu.  You are urged to read the
documentation that came with Irc before writing to them.

The server software is programmed by Jarkko Oikarinen,
jto at tolsun.oulu.fi.  He propably knows where to get it from.

But it is not necessary to have a server.  It is much better to use a
server located near by you site.  Irc already has quite many servers.
You should ask from the same address for a site allowing you to use
their server.

In either case you need a client program to connect to a server.
There are many clients around.  One of the most popular is ircII,
programmed by Michael Sandrof, ms5n+ at andrew.cmu.edu.  Many GNU Emacs
users like to use Kiwi by Klaus Zeuge, sojge at mizar.docs.uu.se.
Another popular choice is Irchat by Tor Lillqvist,
tml at hemuli.atk.vtt.fi.

All the above information has been retrieved from the source files and
documentation of the above software.
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM at FINFILES