user-defined groups

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Wed Mar 20 14:57:39 AEST 1991

In article <DA.91Mar19232007 at igor.cs.brown.edu> da at cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) writes:
>I suspect that when people want to share files, they tend to go
>overboard in the wrong direction: give _everyone_ read access.

 Why is that going overboard.  Most files do not contain sensitive information,
so there is no reason for them not to be publically readable.

>A more flexible group management scheme seems needed in the world of
>NFS-mounted networks of workstations with hundreds of users.  I'd like
>to know what, if anything, is wrong with the following scheme:

 For the kind of joint project you are talking about, I don't think your
world of 'networks of workstations with hundreds of users' is realistic.
Try a world of 'networks of hundreds of workstations, each with one or two
principle users.'  For this type of setup, where the principle users
probably have root access to their own workstation, your solution is
far too complex.