IRC Net Bandwidth (was IRC and Security)

Joel Jones jjones at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 16 02:51:33 AEST 1991

pmartin at uceng.UC.EDU (Paul Martin) writes:
>3) IRC uses a great deal of bandwitdh.
>   One of the replies I got back mentioned the as much as 3% of the
>   total NSFNET backbone was used by IRC packets last month.

Here are some figures retrieved from merit.edu, thanks to Scott Cattanac:

Service			  port	  # packets   % month  #bytes       %bytes
J91irc                    6667     50541247   1.316    3942709477   0.640
F91irc                    6667    107960902   2.776    8849122531   1.397

So Paul Martins figures are pretty much correct in terms of # of packets.
However, if we look at bandwidth, irc only accounted for 1.397% of total bytes
sent on the NSFnet.
  Joel Jones
  jjones at uiuc.edu
--
Joel Jones      As the advertisment for an exhibition on Leonardo da Vinci said,
jjones at uiuc.edu "They called him a genius, a botanist, a demon, a philosopher, a