Kmem security (was: Re: How do you make your UNIX crash ???)

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Fri Mar 22 18:35:34 AEST 1991

In article <601 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>There have been some claims that getting passwords from the kernel is
>"easy".  I'd like to see an example of how easy it is.  It strikes me
>as being not very easy at all.

It is not `easy' in the sense of being trivial, but it is not all
that difficult, either: back in the days of 4.1BSD, at the University
of Maryland, we had a student% who wrote a little `kmem reading'
program that scanned clists.

>The serial-port clists are especially tricky to read out of kmem,
>because the data structures change so fast.

The forementioned program did exactly that, with a success rate running
around 80 to 90 percent.  That is, it usually lost 1 or 2 out of every
ten characters.

>Note that I'm not saying it can't be done; I'm just questioning how
>easy it is to get anything useful this way.

Said student certainly got a number of useful tidbits... plus a number
of wrist-slappings. :-)
-----
% No, it was not me.  *My* days were in high school. :-)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov