Getting SunOS 4.1 to use DNS -and- /etc/hosts (long)

Kimmo Suominen Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
Fri Mar 15 03:56:11 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 12 Mar 91 18:44:16 GMT, a2824ak at sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Thomas Kaiser) said:

Thomas> I also modified the original bind4.8.2 resolver routines. In
Thomas> mine i use first /etc/hosts and then the resolver. I've done
Thomas> for both gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr.

The problem here is, that you'll get wrong information, if you don't
update your /etc/hosts.  I'd prefer having the file as a backup.

Thomas> The problem with the other way round, is that the resolver
Thomas> routines have to wait for timeout, if there is no information
Thomas> or nameserver. You can also put shortnames in your
Thomas> /etc/hosts-file

Well, why don't you use CNAME entries in the DNS and benefit
everyone in your domain?
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM at FINFILES