IRC and Security

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Mar 14 09:24:33 AEST 1991

In article <7753 at uceng.UC.EDU>, pmartin at uceng.UC.EDU (Paul Martin) writes:
|> Sorry but IRC appears to be SOLELY used for entertainment.  This is a
|> poor example of how to spend the students and taxpayers money.

  During Desert Storm there Israelis on IRC during many of the bomb attacks,
giving eye-witness reports of what was going on (trying to censor themselves
for fear of giving away important information, for the most part).
Furthermore, people all over the world were reporting news in real-time; for
much of the time, it was possible to get a compilation of all the important
facts from all the major news sources by logging into IRC.

  I don't consider that "entertainment," I consider it an integral part of the
"electronic community" for which I think we should be striving.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace