Possible security problem, need information...

Paul Falstad pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 21 15:36:03 AEST 1991

jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) wrote:
>To write to a directory, you only need *execute* permission on all the
>directories above it...

% cd /tmp
% mkdir -p foo/bar
% cd foo/bar
% chmod 000 /tmp/foo
% touch fubar
%

It's hard to get to a directory if you don't have execute permission on
all its parents, but once you're there, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure jik knows this, probably just a slip of the finger...  (I
suppressed the urge to say WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! :-)

--
Paul Falstad, pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
     To boost the economy, I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.