user-defined groups

Mike Hojnowski mqh at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 21 02:46:07 AEST 1991

> For the kind of joint project you are talking about, I don't think your
>world of 'networks of workstations with hundreds of users' is realistic.
>Try a world of 'networks of hundreds of workstations, each with one or two
>principle users.'  For this type of setup, where the principle users
>probably have root access to their own workstation, your solution is
>far too complex.

I disagree.  We have a very similar need here.  We will have a large
system with >2000 userids.  We may also eventually have a fleet of
RS/6000's with a common uid space.  Root privileges on these systems
might be limited to our adminstrative group.

It is always desirable to be able to distribute responsibility away from
one system administrator with the keys to the city.  We've come up with
a solution using "expect" which allows us to have a group administrator
for certain groups.  Our solution still requires that a root user set up
the administrator, and the group.