How do you make your UNIX crash ???

Tim Ramsey tar at math.ksu.edu
Wed Mar 13 13:23:01 AEST 1991

brendan at cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

[ ... ]

>   If your sysadmin (much less the vendor itself) left /dev/kmem world
>   WRITABLE, they're begging for this kind of thing. Readable, possibly;
>   writable, c'mon.

A readable kmem is still a bit no no.  Somewhere around here I have small
program that lets you peek at what someone is typing by watching tty clists.
It will let you crash the system; it just takes a little longer (you have
to wait for someone to type in the root password so you can su and cat
/bin/emacs to /dev/null :)

--
Tim Ramsey (tar at math.ksu.edu)  (913) 532-6750 (voice)  (913) 532-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-2602