gethostbyaddr: messages on Sun running resolver

Ray Smith rcsmith at anagld.analytics.com
Sat Mar 23 05:26:59 AEST 1991

cornell at csl.dl.nec.com (Cornell Kinderknecht) writes:

>I'm running resolver libraries on a Sun server.  When I get mail from
>some sites or a telnet is done from some sites, I get a message similar
>to the following at the console.
>	gethostbyaddr: <host.name> != <ip.addr>
>Where <host.name> is the  abc.abc.abc.abc name
>and <ip.addr> is the 123.123.123.123 ip number.

>!= implies not equal however the ip number and host name that are given
>are indeed the correct corresponding ipnumber and hostname (they are
>resolved correctly when you get ipnumber from hostname).

>Does anyone know what I can do to either 1) correct this or 2) suppress
>the message?

>Cornell Kinderknecht
>cornell at csl.dl.nec.com

Don't know if this is what your problem is by here are some things
that I archived a while back regarding gethostbyaddr.

Hope it helps,
Ray

-----------------------
BEGIN INCLUDED MESSAGES
-----------------------
Subject: Re: nres_gethostbyaddr error in /var/adm/messages
Date: 30 Aug 90 09:17:56 EDT (Thu)
From: uunet!aecom.yu.edu!naftoli (Robert N. Berlinger)
On Aug 29, 15:57, rhoward at msd.gatech.edu wrote:
> To: sun-nets at umiacs.umd.edu (Sun-Nets)
> Subject: nres_gethostbyaddr error in /var/adm/messages
>
> I'm getting some weird messages in my /var/adm/messages file.  They
> read:
>
> <hostname> syslog: nres_gethostbyaddr: <some.long.hostname> != <some.IP.num>
>
> for a number of hosts.
>
> SS1+  le0 and le1
> OS: 4.1
> Running NIS (yp)
> NIS databases built with -b option.
>
> What does this mean?  I haven't been having problems contacting these
> machines.  What is the nature of the message?
>-- End of excerpt from rhoward at msd.gatech.edu

Apparently it's a bug in ypserv.  Here is information that Sun sent to me
about the problem.

>From lmc at Sun.COM Thu Aug  9 10:47:32 1990

The following is information on the nres_gethostbyaddr error messages:
-Lorraine McLane
 (415) 336-5214
  e-mail - lmc at sun.com

1039839: Synopsis:  nres_gethostbyaddr logs misleading messages to console

1039839:        When using DNS in conjunction with NIS, customer sees
1039839:        messages logged to the console like :
1039839:
1039839:        nres_gethostbyaddr: xxx.yyy.zzz != aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
1039839:        Where xxx.yyy.zzz is the fully qualified hostname, and
1039839:        aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the CORRECT IP address for xxx.yyy.zzz
1039839:
1039839:        Setup configuration has been verified with nslookup by
1039839:        doing a qtype=any, and doing
1039839:        > ddd.ccc.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa
1039839:
1039839:        What's more, is that the syslog level for this message
1039839:        is at LOG_CRIT (critical). This should probably be a
1039839:        syslog level of no higher than LOG_NOTICE
1039839:
1039839:        crit    For warnings about critical  conditions,  such  as
1039839:                hard device errors.
1039839:
1039839:        notice  For conditions that are not error conditions,  but
1039839:                may require special handling.
1039839: Work around:
1039839:        Ignore the messages, since they're not really errors, or
1039839:        turn off logging of critical error messages.
1039839: Suggested fix:
1039839:        Change LOG_CRIT to LOG_NOTICE in nres_gethostbyaddr(),
1039839:        else make everything compiled with -lnres have a secure
1039839:        or debug option with hooks into the nres_gethostbyaddr
1039839:        routine of asynch_resolver/ngethostbyname.c to enable or
1039839:        disable these messages.
1039839:        Leave it up to the network administrators to decide
1039839:        whether or not these are critical errors.

1039839:This problem appear to be in the way YPserv's use of the resolver
routines
1039839:interact with the nameserver routines, as it is not duplicatable with
1039839:other resolver based utilities. I suspect a timing problem since the
1039839:address does in fact match the hostname in all reported cases.

1039839: Public Summary:
1039839:        DNS used in conjunction with NIS may generate syslog messages
1039839:        to the console something like :
1039839:        nres_gethostbyaddr: some.name.org != its.correct.IP.addr

Robert N. Berlinger                 |Domain: naftoli at aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support       |UUCP: ...uunet!aecom!naftoli
Scientific Computing Center         |CompuServe: 76067.1094 at compuserve.com
Albert Einstein College of Medicine |AppleLink: D3913 at applelink.apple.com