IRC Net Bandwidth (was IRC and Security)

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Mar 22 07:19:00 AEST 1991

In article <703 at seqp4.UUCP> jdarcy at seqp4.ORG (Jeffrey D'Arcy) writes:
> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >But it's the packets that cost. A 2-byte packet costs almost as much as
> >a 500-byte packet.
> Yeah, right.  On an Ethernet, you have a 14-byte Ethernet header, 20-byte
> IP header, 20-byte TCP header, a couple of trailers...all told less than
> 60 bytes, and I can't imagine other data links are that much worse.

By far the largest cost of a packet on the Internet is the cost of
routing. If we upgraded NSFNET to trillion-megabyte-per-microsecond
links, connections over it would run perhaps a few percent faster.

You can shout all you want about ``data links,'' but there aren't any
fixed data links in the Internet except on local networks. How much IRC
data do you think *doesn't* get propagated outside its local network?

> That
> would seem to make a 500-byte packet about nine times as costly as a 2-byte
> packet in terms of transmission time.  Certainly there are per-packet costs
> regardless of the packet length, but not enough to make your statement even
> nearly true.

Rather than making up statistics, why don't you measure what actually
goes on? The cost per byte is very small compared to the fixed cost per
packet.

---Dan