Security audit programs

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Tue Mar 26 14:40:52 AEST 1991

In article <40371 at cup.portal.com>, PLS at cup.portal.com (Paul L Schauble) writes:
> I have a vague recollection of a program posted to comp.sources a while
> back that would scan a filesystem and catalog setuid and setgid program
> files.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer to this, or to similar commercial programs that
> can be used for a periodic security audit?

Hardly a need for a special program.  What I do is:

	find / -user root -perm -4000 -exec ls -ld {} ';'

This of course only checks for setuid-root programs, which are the really
suspicious ones.  To answer your question more exactly:

	find / -perm -4000 -o -perm -0200 -exec ls -ld {} ';'

(Actually, I wouldn't be very surprised to find that someone had written
a separate program to duplicate this special case.  People do silly things
like that all the time. ;-)

--
All opinions Copyright (c) 1991 by John Chambers.  Inquire for licensing at:
Home: 1-617-484-6393