IRC and Security

Mike Pelletier stealth at caen.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 18 11:58:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.232217.8994 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>From the keyboard of pmartin at uceng.UC.EDU (Paul Martin):
>:Sorry but IRC appears to be SOLELY used for entertainment.  This is a
>:poor example of how to spend the students and taxpayers money.
>
>So what?   Anything that gets them into computers more is a good thing.
>Don't pre-judge what is and is not going to have good long-term side effects.
>
>That said, it does sound frivolous, but unless there's a cycle or net
>or terminal crunch, I see no reason to take it away.

Two things -- the appearances of IRC may be decieving, since there can
be dozens of conversations going on without the benefit of a channel,
or which may be taking place in private or hidden channels.  So
a group of researchers collaborating on optics for a remote sensing
camera might escape your notice.

Additionally, the type of informal, real-time interaction that can take
place in IRC is breaking down the international fences that we typically
have in everyday life.  In IRC, an Israeli, an Italian, a Frenchman, a
Finn, etc..  all look the same on the screen.