IRC Net Bandwidth (was IRC and Security)

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Sat Mar 23 18:24:21 AEST 1991

In article <704 at seqp4.UUCP> jdarcy at seqp4.UUCP (Jeffrey d'Arcy) writes:
>Chris, do you know if the NSFnet routers can handle 3600pps in loopback?

This is all from my memory of one conversation on a noisy bus (the kind
that carries people around cities, not the kind you find in a computer)
from almost a year ago, and I understand things have been improved (I
certainly hope so!).  In other words, do not assume that this number
represents reality:  At the time the NSS routers peaked out at not much
over 300 packets per second, and certainly under 1000 packets per second.

Another word of warning: this is probably a deduction from a measurement
showing that each NSS hop added an otherwise unaccountable 2 to 4 ms. of
latency to each packet (regardless of packet size).

At the time (and perhaps still), getting a packet from one end of an
NSS to another actually involved sending it through 3 to 5 separate
machines.  There was also mention of someone `getting the packet
forwarding cost down to about 14,000 instructions' (these being on IBM
ROMPs)---apparently this was an improvement that was not yet in place.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov