Kmem security (was: Re: How do you make your UNIX crash ???)

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Sat Mar 16 19:10:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.180300.17697 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>From the keyboard of cjc at ulysses.att.com (Chris Calabrese):
>:Allowing any access to /dev/kmem is asking for trouble.
>:It's possible to become root on a system which
>:has a readable /dev/kmem without too much trouble.
>
>With just read access?  How do you do that?  I can understand
>being able to read other people's data, but I really don't know
>how you would use this to become the superuser.  Reading su passwds?
>This is much harder in raw mode.

Think about it.  Look at the UNIX tools you have available.  Consider the fact
that /dev/kmem is a file.  When anyone logs in, even root, login has to decrypt
the password in /etc/password to compare it to the password typed it.  This
password in memory lays around for a while.  It is extremely easy to grab
passwords out of kmem, and match them to ANY user, including root.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP