Project Athena ( was Re: Non Destructive Version of rm)

Robert J Carter rjc at oghma.ocunix.on.ca
Thu May 9 15:16:19 AEST 1991

In article <12074 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:

[deleted]

>May be, but I am still not allowed to decide where to mount file system's
>(that is preordained) and I do not have the root password.

[deleted]
>}
>}->Oh, I like your setup even better now. Give all the users root!
>}

Note from a security type. Your missing one very important point:
having access to the root password is not the problem - what causes the
security hole is having ACCESS to the types of priviledges NORMALLY
associated with the root account. If those priviledges arn't there,
what's the big deal? Granted, it's not the standard practice - but
then, you could easily argue that deviating from standards make a
system more secure by making it more difficult for outsiders to figure
it out.

--
| Robert J Carter           Oghma Systems         Ottawa, Ontario |