Is there something like 'shutdownrc' at SunOS 4.1 ?

Adam Carlson acarlson at laurel.math.umass.edu
Thu May 30 02:39:17 AEST 1991

In article <1214 at keele.keele.ac.uk> csd35 at seq1.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>From article <868 at cadlab.sublink.ORG>, by albani at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Lanfranco Albani):
>> smeets at speedy.ada.cci.de (Vincent Smeets) writes:
>>>I have looked at the 'shutdown' program itself, but that is no
>>>shellscript so I can't change anything.
>>
>> Easy, make your own! :-)
>> Rename /etc/shutdown as /etc/shutdown.bin, write down a script like this:
>

>Nope, that's not really as useful as shutdown running a script.  Suppose
>we run an Oracle server, then what we want is the Oracle server to shut
>down at shutdown time, not before anyone has had the shutdown message.
>It would be really useful to have shutdown execute a script so that
>servers can be neatly closed down at the right moment.

I don't know if this is standard, but on our Sun's we can give a
shutdown -k command (the -k stands for "kidding") which will do
everything but actually shutdown the machine (i.e. send shutdown
messages, inhibit new logins from t-5 minutes.)  So you can put a
shutdown -k at the beginning of your script and then a shutdown now at
the end.

--
Adam Carlson                  | It's good to know that if I behave
acarlson at math.umass.edu       | strangely enough, society will take