Project Athena ( was Re: Non Destructive Version of rm)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri May 10 08:08:14 AEST 1991

In article <12067 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
> And also, dunno about your PC's, put the Public PC's at Purdue
> DO have accounts for special functions, and you are not allowed
> to mess with certain things without the right authority (kind of
> a root-type idea)

How do you implement that? Since DOS does not provide any protection, I can
write a simple program that reams the whole "account" system out of there.

> At the very least, can I not wipe the entire root directory of the
> workstation clean?

So what if you do? That's a denial of service attack equivalent to putting
superglue in the ethernet connector so you can't plug it in. Why would you
do either? One workstation is down until the system can be reinstalled on
it...
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"