Fujitsu 1.2Gb disk on Sun

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Sun May 12 08:22:14 AEST 1991

parker at mprgate.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:

>I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
>am experiencing some problems.

>Namely, I'm getting lots of fatal read and write errors in
>the system error log, yet when I scan the disk for bad blocks
>I encounter none. The errors are reported in blocks appearing
>all over the disk. There are no errors on the internal drive
>on the system, which indicates that the SCSI controller is ok.

sounds more like you have a problem with the scsi bus, like
no/bad termination, cable too long etc which only shows up
during 'mixed' usage, like when several devices are active
at once, or many seeks (as opposed to straight reading).

>I understand that there are potentially some problems running
>anything *over* 1.2Gb on a standard SCSI bus, but that 1.2Gb
>should be fine.

that's a problem many unix machines have, and is not scsi's fault.
for instance DEC and ISC are just fixing (or have fixed) this,
sun seems to take longer (last rumors i heard).
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: