Network Logins

Matt Wette mwette at csi.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 29 03:45:05 AEST 1991

Here what I can suggest if you're willing to use rlogin instead of
telnet.  You may be able to cook up something from it.

Say the host machine is mach0 and the remote machine is mach1.  In
the /etc/passwd file on mach0 I put in the following entry:

  mach1::9999:999:remoteLogin:/usr/local:/usr/local/etc/rxlogin

/usr/local has a .hushlogin file so that /etc/motd doesn't get
printed.  The file /usr/local/etc/rxlogin is the following:
  #!/bin/sh
  machine=$USER
  echo -n "$machine login: "; read username
  exec /usr/ucb/rlogin $machine -l $username

Now I approach mach0 and type "mach1" at the login prompt, get a
prompt for a login name on mach1 and type my name (matt), then get
the password prompt from the remote machine.  Here's what the
screen should look like:

  login mach0: mach1
  login mach1: matt
  Password: