Unhooking scsi devices while machine is running

Dave Sill de5 at ornl.gov
Sat May 25 02:28:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.143831.10687 at csl.dl.nec.com>, harrison at csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) writes:

>1.  Is there *any* significance to the order of daisy chaining?

No.

>2.  Is it safe to plug and unplug the tape drive while the system
>    is up?

No.

>3.  (this is the point of the whole posting)  Will I screw things
>    up if I simply plug and unplug the tape drive into the disk
>    drive while the system is running?

Maybe, maybe not.  You certainly *could* mess things up.

>4.  What FM should I be reading to know about this stuff?

I don't know, but I wish I'd read a copy of it before I took the
course on SCSI fiddling from the School of Hard Knocks.

In my experience, the only safe way to reconfigure SCSI devices is
with the power off on *all* devices, including the system.

--
Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force