How to get telnet/ftp to use the resolver?

Scott Simpers scotts at qsp.COM
Thu May 16 06:04:07 AEST 1991

In article <3366 at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
>martin at phillip.edu.au writes:
>
>>       I've setup the resolver and named on our sun IPC and using
>>nslookup everything seems to be fine.  However I, can't get telnet,
>>ftp etc to use the name resolver.  If I'm NOT running NIS, how do I get
>>everything to use the resolver?
>
> I think there most be a file that describes all the services
>
> I our VaxStation with ULTRIX 4.0 there is a file called /etc/svc.conf

The problem is that you are working on a Sun.  They EXPECT to run NIS.  I don't
believe you can turn it off and have things work right.  You can tell the
ypserv process to look to DNS/resolver by using the 'ypserv -d' command.

Scott Simpers
Quality Software Products                    voice: (213)410-0303
5711 W Slauson Avenue  Suite 240             fax: (213)410-0124
Culver City, CA  90230                       ...uunet!qsp!scotts