Network Logins

Yedidya Israel yedidya at bimacs.BITNET
Wed May 29 23:17:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991May28.174505.10471 at jato.jpl.nasa.gov> mwette at csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) writes:
>Here what I can suggest if you're willing to use rlogin instead of
>telnet.  You may be able to cook up something from it.
>
>Say the host machine is mach0 and the remote machine is mach1.  In
>the /etc/passwd file on mach0 I put in the following entry:
>
>  mach1::9999:999:remoteLogin:/usr/local:/usr/local/etc/rxlogin
>
>/usr/local has a .hushlogin file so that /etc/motd doesn't get
>printed.  The file /usr/local/etc/rxlogin is the following:
>  #!/bin/sh
>  machine=$USER
>  echo -n "$machine login: "; read username
>  exec /usr/ucb/rlogin $machine -l $username

An alternative is

  mach1::9999:999:remoteLogin:/usr/local:/usr/hosts/mach1

you are saving the scipt but must define "-mach1" as a nickname to
"mach1" in hosts database.
--
| Israel Yedidya, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan U, Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL. |
| Internet: yedidya at bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il         Bitnet: yedidya at bimacs |