Network Logins

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed May 29 00:57:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991May28.135719.13805 at cs.utk.edu> woo at ornl.gov (John W. Wooten) writes:
>Is there a way to set up workstations so that if a user types
> woo at woonext.dsrd.ornl.gov at login, the login procedure would open a telnet
>session to the machine described without every giving access to the physical
>machine he's standing in front of?  I'm looking for a way to allow people to
>walk up to a workstation in someone else's office and (with their permission)
>allow them to access their own workstation without having to have an account
>opened or without letting them use a terminal window in another users open
>area.  Has this been done?  Is it doable?  How?

Unless telnet has some weird shell escape command, this should be safe:

Make a user id called "telnet" or whatever, giving it the login shell of
"/usr/ucb/telnet". So, the user "loggs in" as telnet, and then gets a
telnet> prompt. (Or rather, a "-telnet" prompt, since login execs the shell
like that) He can do: "open woo at woonext.dsrd.ornl.gov", or any other
hostname to be connected to, and execute any other normal telnet command.

			-Kartik

--
internet% whoami

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet