Help---Corrupted UTMP file on HP-UX

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.prc.com
Sat May 4 02:34:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991May02.143526.17696 at sdd.hp.com>, kurt at hpsdde.hp.com (Kurt Andersen) writes:
> Has anyone experienced (and, I hope solved) a problem wherein the
> /etc/utmp file gets clobbered (corrupted or emptied) under HP-UX
> 7.0 on a 9000/350 machine?

HP changed the format of the utmp file with 7.0.  We had this problem
on our 9000/800's.  Anything that writes to utmp must be recompiled to
work with 7.0.  You must have some software somewhere that is doing this.
screen?  X from pd?  some homebrew package?  Find it and recompile it.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   paul at prcrs.prc.com    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.