something like motd question

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Fri May 17 21:44:43 AEST 1991

In article <1746 at targon.UUCP> andre at targon.UUCP (Andre van Dalen) writes:

>In article <bshaw.673889495 at hcmv2> bshaw at hcmv2.ti.com (bob shaw) writes:
> >I would like to have a file that is read when a user logs in
> >*IF* this file has been updated since it was last read by this
> >user.  This file would contain specific system  news info, etc and
> >would constantly be changed by the sys_admin.

>You could add something like this to /etc/profile,
>put your message in the file /etc/new_motd, . in the next lines
>is the users home directory, which is where his shell starts.
>(This example uses /bin/sh as login shell.)

>if [ -n "`find /etc/new_motd -newer . -print`" ]
>then
>  cat /etc/new_motd
>  touch .
>fi

[sig deleted]

Hi There,

	I am considering switching the bulk of the population from sh to
csh just so I can more easily customize (via /etc/profile) the way I want
user accounts to behave.  With over 400 users what are the chances that I
can put something into /etc/profile to correctly switch them to
.cshrc/.login after giving them information perhaps setting ENV variables
or whatever.  I know I can exec csh but I can't be certain what the right
thing to do is.  Any help appreciated.