Is there something like 'shutdownrc' at SunOS 4.1 ?

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Sat May 25 22:25:37 AEST 1991

In article <138 at speedy.ada.cci.de>, smeets at speedy.ada.cci.de (Vincent Smeets) writes:

> I am using SunOS 4.1 and I want to execute some commands just before
> the system is going down (shuting down Oracle and Teamwork).

That's why shutting down sends a SIGTERM to everything.  Processes that
need to clean up after themselves should catch it and do whatever they
feel they must.

If Oracle and/or Teamwork doesn't do this, file a bug report with the
vendor.  If you're paying for support, *demand* a fix.

> Is there something like a 'shutdownrc' file that will be executed
> wenn the shutdowntime has elapsed?

Not that I know of.  If the commands in question execute fairly
quickly, you could write a daemon which sleeps waiting for a SIGTERM
and then runs whatever needs to be run.

> I have looked at the 'shutdown' program itself, but that is no
> shellscript so I can't change anything.

Dontcha just love them binary-only distributions?  (Biggest gripe I
have with Sun on this point, at the moment, is add_client....)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu