Project Athena

Esther Filderman ef1c+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 9 10:17:12 AEST 1991

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.admin: 8-May-91 Project Athena ( was Re:
> No.. The Grand Master at sage.cc (15868)

> }  You asserted that we should not be writing to system source code with our
> }own account.  I responded by pointing out that, in effect, we are not.  We
> }simply require separate Kerberos authentication, rather than a completely
> }separate login, to get source write access.  Now you respond by saying that
> }that authentication is wrong, when it is in fact what you implied we should be
> }doing in the first place.
> }
> I feel the authentication is unneccesarily neccesary. You have made
> it a neccesity by putting power in the users' hands that should not
> be there. I will not applaud you for making things more difficult.
> Why should I have to use a password every time I execute a command?
> (I know, you don't have to for *EVERY* command - yet). What is the

> purpose of separate accounts? It is so that you have to enter a
> password only once. If not, you could just have open connected terminals
> and require a password for any special commands (ls, vi, rm, kill).
> No need for accounts.

I think you misunderstand Jon's point.  If I understand the way Athena
works:  You don't have to use a password every time, but if you want to
to write to a certain area (say, system source files) you must
authenticate again, once.  Then you have *two* authentication instances,
one valid for your "home" area and general use, one for the special
security area.  However, authentication is separate from login; it can
be done at any time with a "log" separate similar ticket-granting
process.

The Andrew system is considering doing this, too.  As part of a
development team that uses a small portion of Andrew, and as a former
Andrew system administrator, I must whole heartedly agree that this is
good extra protection and security.

Esther C. Filderman     ef1c+ at andrew.cmu.edu
System Manager          Library Automation
Mercury Project         Carnegie Mellon University
        They are gardeners and carpenters.
        They are not tomato men.