SUMMARY: Backup while in multi-user mode

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 21 20:44:43 AEST 1991

In <1991May20.204327.17694 at erg.sri.com> zwicky at erg.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) writes:

>I have seen files come up missing; I have also seen someone do a full
>restore on a filesystem which fsck then deleted. If you cannot risk
>having a backup be bad, don't do it in multi-user. You can probably
>risk having your daily backups be bad. You probably can't risk all
>your backups. This is why many of us do some backups in multi-user and
>some in single-user.

Another solution, if you are backing up user files and only have
a few hundred Mb to do overnight, is to simply backup with 'tar'
rather than 'dump'.  We use that method to do 300Mb of user files
from a Masscomp onto an Exabyte on a Sun and have never had a
problem - the tar takes nearly four hours (it would take less
on a local device).

	Tim