Fujitsu 1.2Gb disk on Sun

Ross Parker parker at mprgate.mpr.ca
Fri May 10 05:19:41 AEST 1991

I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
am experiencing some problems.

Namely, I'm getting lots of fatal read and write errors in
the system error log, yet when I scan the disk for bad blocks
I encounter none. The errors are reported in blocks appearing
all over the disk. There are no errors on the internal drive
on the system, which indicates that the SCSI controller is ok.

I understand that there are potentially some problems running
anything *over* 1.2Gb on a standard SCSI bus, but that 1.2Gb
should be fine.

The numbers I've used to format the drive (on the advice of
Fujitsu) are: 1642 cylinders, 2 alternates, 15 heads, 85
sectors. The disk logic can actually address 1658 cylinders
(plus alternates), but Sun's format chokes with that.

I'm running SunOS 4.1.1 on the SPARC 2.

Any ideas?

--
Ross Parker			| Why do they put me down?
				| Make out that I'm a clown?
parker at mprgate.mpr.ca		| I drink scotch whisky all day long
uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!parker	| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
				| (gonna put it all away...)
(604)293-5495			| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman