what kind of machine am I

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.com
Mon May 20 06:47:00 AEST 1991

According to rowe at cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe):
>The ``Configure'' script distributed with PERL has some really crafty
>mechanisms for determining what type of machine you are on.

When it is run on a system that is subtly different from one it knows,
Configure comes up with lots of plausible but wrong answers.

Configure's mechanism -- create config.sh, then run *.SH, which are
shell scripts that create Makefile etc. based on config.sh -- is
great.  Its guessing-game ass_u_me hacks, though, are atrocious.
--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]