E-mail Privacy

Richard Marks rmarks at KSP.Unisys.COM
Thu May 30 02:34:06 AEST 1991

I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal several months ago.
I think it was one of the short column 5 vignettes about Law.

Some employee had his desk files searched by his employer.  It was declared
legal.  The files, the desk, and the building were owned by the employer.
I do not remember all the details - like if a file explicitly labeled
"Personnel - not realted to company business" was searched.  But this
is an interesting indication that e-mail may not be private.

SOmeone posted excerpts from some Communications Act relating to privacy
of electronic communications.  The basic paragraphs had phrases like
"authorized".  Perhaps the company is authorized?

Regards,
Richard Marks