what kind of machine am I

Daniel Smith daniel at world.std.com
Thu May 16 15:31:28 AEST 1991

In <7844 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>[from my original followup]
> >elif [ -f /bin/i486 ] && /bin/i486; then
> >	echo 486
> >elif [ -f /bin/i586 ] && /bin/i586; then
> >	echo 586

> Are there *really* commands for "i486" and "i586"?  I wouldn't be at all
> surprised if System V releases for 386's, 486's, and up weren't

	Probably not yet, but I decided not to let that get in the way :-)

> Also, I think the command for the 286 is called "iapx286" or maybe
> "iAPX286".

	Oh, ok.  I was working off of what I was seeing on a Sun, but
I did not look closely enough.  Interesting that Sun would have a /bin/i386
and a /bin/iAPX286; seems like it should go one way or another.

	The basic gist of my adapted "arch" script was: find some file unique
to a machine and do some guesswork.  Hope to see some additions to it so that
we can all benefit.

				Daniel
--
daniel at island.com  .....Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)