SUMMARY: Backup while in multi-user mode

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Thu May 30 13:31:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991May30.002422.14775 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp
(Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <EDJB+TC at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>
>>Your CPIO might have all those flaws. Ours doesn't. Ever hear of a program
>>by the name of "pax"?
>
>I'm leery of something non-standard like PAX.  What happens 5 years from
>now when we need to restore something from a tape created on a Sun/386i
>(for example) to a Sparc-L? :-)

Non-standard?  pax was written specifically to support the tar and
cpio formats immortalized by the POSIX.1 standard.  Its behavior is
specified by the draft POSIX.2 standard.  It knows how to read
traditional tar and cpio formats.

Five years from now you'll be able to read pax archives by using
pax.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000