E-mail Privacy

Carl M. Kadie kadie at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri May 24 04:30:36 AEST 1991

>kadie at m.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>>The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1976 protects e-mail.
                                                ^^^ typo, that should be "1986"

mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>	Not to my knowledge. It "protects" cellular phones (if something
>can be said to be "protected" by deterrence) because they are a service
>provided by a common carrier - I don't believe it says anything about
>e-mail at all.

The ECPA of 1986 explicitly protects e-mail privacy. (It also, of
course, tries to protect cellular telephone privacy.) Excerpts of the
e-mail-related sections are available via anonymous ftp from eff.org
in file academic/ecpa.1986.

- Carl
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie at cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign