mailing to uudecode

Gord Wait Gord_Wait at mindlink.bc.ca
Wed May 15 03:09:02 AEST 1991

Well, what fun that was... It is lucky I don't read my mail on a unix machine.
After asking how to use the decode alias under sun4.1.1 sparc unix, I got a few
mail replies saying more or less that the decode alias is a security hole. I
also got one mail message from something or someone called abc at concert.net that
contained ONLY a uuencoded file
that looks like it was supposed to create a file called a /usr/lib/phase.o, and
the hackers come running!

        I think that sun may have fixed the decode problem, because I have
tried to mail myself uuencoded files, and forwarded them to decode, but all
that happens is a "permission denied" error.
        I have not decoded the file from abc at concert.net, so I don't know what
is in it. In any case, the decode alias is toast.
(hey maybe if I install the file.. I could try to catch the hacker... yeah !
then I could write a book about my experience... yeah.. thats the ticket! I
could call it .. the .. the trojans egg!!)
--
Gord Wait
Member of Technical Staff